Friday, May 20, 2005

Viking Heist Movie Draft 1

AKA 'THE MAGNIFICENT SVEN*'

EXT. FJORD - DAY

WE see a longship, filled with VIKINGS, amongst whom are our HERO and A VIKING.

A VIKING: By Odin's Hammer (or something) this is a long journey. Perhaps you'd like to tell us a little bit of back story while we row and/or fiddle with sails/sing songs about wenching.
HERO: Very well, I was the only survivor of a viking attack on my ship and have since developed an understandable dislike of the Viking creed, although I am now working closely with your type and will later discover that against all the odds, my father- hang on, this is Pirates of the Carribean, isn't it?
A VIKING: Does sound a bit like it.
HERO: Bollocks.

Characters, longship and fjord fade to white. I go back to the drawing board.


Alternatively, I could always bung in a spaceship.


*Suggested by PP's friend Jim, which annoyed me, as I should have thought about it first. There is a scenario in the Warhammer Fantasy RPG (1st edition) with the same name, which I read years ago, so I've got no excuse.

3 comments:

Fizzy good said...

Douglas Adams keeps stealing my ideas. And do not even get me started on Shakespeare.

BiScUiTs said...

Argh how annoying!

James Henry said...

Big fan of J Campbell - any film that doesn't rip it off is the poorer for it, although yes, Star Wars is a bit literal. Groundhog Day and Grosse Point Blank are great examples of a modern-day interpretation of the Campellian monomyth (ooh, get me), and one day when I teach a film class I'll get round to making up some diagrams to prove it.

PS: I am writing this from a 4 star hotel, with wi-fi. That extra star really really makes a difference. I feel my whole life may have been leading up to this point.